Also known as, the most delicious cookies ever.
Gooey Butter Cookies were adapted from Gooey Butter Cake, which is a Saint Louis thing. I love making/eating/sharing things from my hometown, and who better to share these with than you, my bloggy friends?
Here’s what you need:
Confectioners (powdered) sugar, yellow cake mix (I bought this one because it had butter in the name), an egg, vanilla, butter, and cream cheese.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
First you cream together the cream cheese and, of course, butter.
Then you add the egg and vanilla.
Once those are mixed in, you add in the cake mix and stir until well blended. It should look like this:
Next, make the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in confectioners sugar. Because the dough is so gooey/sticky and would end up all over my hands if I tried to roll it, I use my cookie scoop.
And I just plop it in there.
To form the ball and cover it in confectioners sugar, I sort of use a hot potato method on it, passing it back and forth between my hands quickly to get it coated and I form it into a ball as I go. I find this method works well because you don’t want to be rolling powdered sugar into the dough, just lightly coating the outside.
Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes (I prefer less time so they’re slightly softer, but they are a soft cookie regardless).
When they’re done, they wont flatten out like cookies normally do. They’re puffs of gloriousness.
Transfer to wire racks to cool.
These cookies will make whoever you serve them to want to hug and kiss you, or slap you on the butt, or maybe give you a high five. They are impossibly delicious and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Even though I gave most of them away because I am trying not to eat so terribly.
Gooey Butter Cookies
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter. Stir in the egg and vanilla. Add cake mix, and stir until well blended. Roll into 1inch balls and roll the balls in the confectioners’ sugar. Place 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 13 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.